About 3 weeks ago, Andrew and I noticed that Cole was using a stick in the backyard as a telescope. Not being very excited about Cole running around the yard with a stick poking in his eye, I suggested to Cole that we make a telescope.
First we unrolled some wrapping paper from the tube and cut that into appropriate lengths, and then Cole and I had the greatest time decorating his "telescope". We even went so far as to put a piece of plastic bag on the one end to make it look like glass. Cole has had a lot of fun with this telescope made from garbage - it has been even more fun for Andrew and I to watch him sit on the bridge in my parents backyard (what Cole has come to call his boat, and not just any boat, but his fire boat!) and spy through his telescope, looking for who knows what.
Well, the telescope gave Cole even more ideas. This past Sunday, Cole began asking to make binoculars . . . So, we thought about it and came up with a plan - and the plan began with raiding bathroom garbage cans in search of toilet paper tubes. Cole was very proud of the final product and couldn't wait to tell Andrew all about them.
It is amazing the great things that you can make out of another man's garbage (not that I would rifle through other people's garbage cans), and the great thing is that we didn't have to spend a dime!
By the way, mom, thanks for the wrapping paper tube . . . I don't think that I ever told you that we took one, grin! I did nicely roll the wrapping paper back up around itself and used a rubber band to secure it! (the paper towel tube was a bit too flimsy!)
No comments:
Post a Comment