Thursday, August 12, 2010

Two Things Everyone Should Do

Okay, so this last week there are two things that I did that I think that everyone should do:

The first is learn to pull a trailer behind a truck (yes, mine was a bit extreme being a 20 foot trailer that weighed around 7,000 lbs.). I gained a lot respect for other people pulling heavy loads, especially the 18 wheeler+ truck drivers. I had to learn to turn very wide, begin stopping way before needing to stop, and that you should only go as fast as you feel comfortable going, not as fast as the haul can go. Although this experience did get me one step closer to realizing my dream of learning to drive an 18 wheeler (I have always wanted to pull a Jake Brake!), I learned to respect incredibly those hauling great loads around. Yes, I may be impatient and want to get around them, but they are trying to hold a lot more balloons in their hands then I am and I need to give them that respect. In the end, hauling the trailer and driving the truck was actually fun, even after the night before when I was in tears not wanting to do it! By the way, for those wondering, I pulled the 20 foot trailer from Phoenix to Provo. I have yet to learn to back a trailer - that, I am sure, would be a whole blog entry on it's own.

The second lesson, if you haven't been to Primary in a while, go! Yes, you may be thinking noisy, annoying children, but, as sappy as it sounds, that is where the Spirit dwells in a chapel. I had not been back to Primary since I taught the 7 and 8 year olds over five years ago. Sunday I went to help referee Cole in Sunbeams. I was quickly reminded why my Primary calling was the best calling I have ever had. Yes, two of Cole's classmates were trying to lick each other's tongues and yes the Music Leader looked like he wanted to pull all his hair out, but to hear the kids singing way too loud and with all the feeling they have and hearing their innocent answers to questions is truly something else. To see the smiles on the kids faces - verses the frowns and boredom looks on the faces in Sunday School - made me feel the true spirit as to what the Gospel is all about. I am actually looking forward to next Sunday when I get to go to Primary again. Maybe this time I will even get to color . . . if anything, I know it will be entertaining! (I hope this didn't sound too sappy, I did not intend it that way - grin!)

No comments:

Post a Comment